Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Hendon, Blue House football ground (Sunderland AFC site 1)

Tyne and Wear HER(16926): Hendon, Blue House football ground (Sunderland AFC site 1) - Details

Back to Search Results



Hendon, Blue House football ground (Sunderland AFC site 1)




Sports Ground

Football Ground

Early Modern


Documentary Evidence

Circa 1845 to 1914. The ground was named after the Blue House public house (not on same site as current Blue House pub) which served as its dressing rooms. The first ground of Sunderland Association Football Club in 1879. The club was formed by James Allen, a teacher at Hendon Board School next to the ground on Preston Road. Its players were teachers (hence original name Sunderland & District Teachers' Association Football Club). Sunderland Association Football Club (confusingly the rubgy club was called Sunderland Football Club originally) was formed in 1879. The club is nicknamed the Black Cats. In 1881 Sunderland AFC moved to Groves Field in Ashbrooke, because it couldn't afford the £10 annual rent at Blue House. In 1888 James Allen set up a rival club called Sunderland Albion. They played for four seasons at Blue House before disbanding in 1892. Sunderland AFC played a reserve match at Blue House in 1903.




Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, pp 74-75, 78

Back to Search Results