Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Jesmond, Osborne Avenue, County Cricket Ground

Tyne and Wear HER(11424): Jesmond, Osborne Avenue, County Cricket Ground - Details

Back to Search Results



Jesmond, Osborne Avenue, County Cricket Ground




Sports Ground

Cricket Ground

Early Modern



Northumberland County Cricket Club acquired the Osborne Avenue Ground of nearly 3.5 acres in 1897 for around £7000. The club had been formed in 1881 but did not have a ground of its own. Home matches were played at Gosforth (South Northumberland), Tynemouth (Preston Lane) and Heaton Lane. A quaint replica timber Swiss chalet from the Royal Jubilee Mining, Engineering and Industrial Exhibition of 1887 was moved to the cricket ground from the Town Moor to become a pavilion. At that time the cricket ground was being used by the local police and was known as the Constabulary Ground. In 1947 the pitch had been levelled. £7000 was spent on a viewing lounge next to the pavilion and on concreting and seating the banks lining the perimeter. The Swiss chalet was replaced in 1963 by a purpose-built rectangular brick and timber clad pavilion. It was designed by LJ Couves & Partners, whose founder played for Northumberland in the 1920s. The pavilion cost £25,000. The scoreboard was designed by William Ainsworth in 1977. In 2003 the ground's future looked uncertain when Northumberland County Cricket Club announced that it was leave in 2004. However in 2006 a newly formed club, Newcastle Cricket Club established itself there. The ground's lease was taken over by the Royal Grammar School. The ground has twice been voted the North East Premier League's Ground of the Year. The scoreboard was adapted to house a digital display system in 2008.




Newcastle City Council, 2007, South Jesmond Conservation Area Character Statement, p 39; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 115; Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, pp 97, 102-3

Back to Search Results