St. Andrew's Cemetery, grave of John Hall

St. Andrew's Cemetery, grave of John Hall

HER Number
13214
District
Newcastle
Site Name
St. Andrew's Cemetery, grave of John Hall
Place
Jesmond
Map Sheet
NZ26NE
Class
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Site Type: Broad
Grave Marker
Site Type: Specific
Gravestone
General Period
POST MEDIEVAL
Specific Period
Victorian 1837 to 1901
Form of Evidence
Structure
Description
John Hall (1824-1899) was a ship owner and philanthropist. He was born in Pilgrim Street above his father's carver and gilder's shop. He attended the Royal Grammar School then worked as an office boy on the Quayside. At the age of 27 he became a merchant and ship owner. He acquired a wooded estate in Sweden from which he imported timber. He formed a business with his brother at the Royal Arcade. The Hall brothers were said to be the first ship owners on Tyneside to switch from sail to steam. In 1897 John Hall donated £100,000 towards the rebuilding of the Royal Victoria Infirmary for Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. He chose the site next to Castle Leazes. He died at 3 Ellison Place. His oak coffin was made of wood from the old belfry of St. Nicholas Cathedral. A stained glass window in the south aisle of the chancel is dedicated to his memory. He is buried with his father, mother, brother James and his wife. The vault is decorated by a stone obelisk.
Easting
424980
Northing
566220
Grid Reference
NZ424980566220
Sources
Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 91-92