Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gosforth, McCracken Park, Northern Football Club (rugby)

Tyne and Wear HER(16852): Gosforth, McCracken Park, Northern Football Club (rugby) - Details

Back to Search Results



Gosforth, McCracken Park, Northern Football Club (rugby)




Sports Ground

Rugby Football Ground




Northern Football Club is the City's oldest rugby club. It was formed in September 1876 as Elswick Football Club by William and Richard Cail, printers. For 60 years the club had no permanent base. They played at the Mill Inn on Westgate Road, later on the Town Moor. In 1937 they set up their present ground at Gosforth, named after Angus McCracken, player, club president and accountant. The original stand was wooden and there were four pitches. At times they hired extra pitches at High Gosforth Park. But financial problems in the late 20th century led to one pitch being sold for housing. The proceeds paid for a new ranch-style clubhouse, which opened in December 1994. Squash courts were introduced in 1961. The clubhouse is the base for Gosforth Harriers & Athletic Club, which was founded in 1927. The rugby club still fields six teams. The wooden grandstand still survives.




Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 52, 61

Back to Search Results