Tyne and Wear HER(17542): Byker, Byker Station (Byker Platform) - Details
Byker, Byker Station (Byker Platform)
Railway Transport Site
Byker station. Opened for workmen 1884 and running timetabled services from 1st March 1901. Demolished and cutting infilled - now Morrisons car park. The station was basic and consisted of a waiting shelter on each platform and a small booking office. A footbridge connected the platforms. Referred to as Byker Platform prior to opening to general passenger traffic. Passenger use was limited due to the proximity of the superior Heaton Station. Byker station closed 5th April 1954. By 1989 only the platforms remained. The site was landfilled and redeveloped as a car park in 2002.