Tyne and Wear HER(1869): Forest Hall - Details
Forest Hall gave its name to the suburb now occupying the area of its very extensive estate. Woodside Court was built on the site of the Hall, which was demolished in 1962. The western portion of this incorporated part of the original medieval tower, although the crenellations were modern. Richard Wilson (1695-1759) was probably responsible for building the five-bay central block, the eastern wing being a later addition. During the 19th century the Hall was frequently tenanted, but the Wilson's re-occupied it c.1910-56. Shown on a plan of the East Part of Northumberland, 1778.
<< HER 1869 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 19; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth, p 66; Plan of the East Part of Northumberland 1778