Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Newcastle, Newgate Street, Nos. 146-148 (Bourgognes)

Tyne and Wear HER(1874): Newcastle, Newgate Street, Nos. 146-148 (Bourgognes) - Details

Back to Search Results



Newcastle, Newgate Street, Nos. 146-148 (Bourgognes)






Post Medieval


Demolished Building

This house appears to have been reconstructed in the 18th century, while retaining an earlier inscription dated 1634, an ornamental tablet on the brick façade inscribed "Chris Barker, Tanner, 1684". Some of its rooms had ceilings decorated with Jacobean strap-work. Thomas W. Rowell took over the premises when it was a pub called the Masons' Arms, in 1856. The pub had a brewery, a shop, three workshops, cellars, stables and hop and malt rooms. Rowell was bankrupt in 1862. Around 1876 it was bought by French winemakers and merchants, Bourgogne et Fils, for £3,500, under the stewardship of P.A. Bourgogne. In the 1890s the yard behind the old inn was developed with a five storey warehouse. Bourgognes operated as a winehouse until the late 1930s with licensed rooms and retail. By the late 1950s the pub was leased to Wm Younger's. In 1972 it was a public house owned by Newcastle Breweries. It was demolished that year to make way for Eldon Square Shopping Centre. In 1989 a new Bourgogne's pub was opened close to the original site.




T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 26; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 52-53; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 16

Back to Search Results