Tyne and Wear HER(7892): Newcastle, Collingwood Street, Turf Hotel - Details
Newcastle, Collingwood Street, Turf Hotel
In the early nineteenth century, the Turf Hotel in Collingwood Street was the principal coaching inn of the town. In 1824 the local directory tells us that three coaches ran daily from the Turf to London, two to Edinburgh and one each to Carlisle, Lancaster and Leeds. In the palmy days of Newcastle coaching - from about 1826 to 1834, there would have been a fine array of coaches opposite the Turf Hotel, the horses in teams of grey, black and bay. The Turf closed and was demolished in 1889 and a bank was erected on site.
F. Graham, 1976, Historic Newcastle, pp 19 and 20; Nigel Green, 2009, Tough Times & Grisly Crimes, page 18; Graham, F. 1959, Old Inns and Taverns of Northumberland