Duke Street, Chain Locker Public House

Duke Street, Chain Locker Public House

HER Number
7898
District
N Tyneside
Site Name
Duke Street, Chain Locker Public House
Place
North Shields
Map Sheet
NZ36NE
Class
Commercial
Site Type: Broad
Eating and Drinking Establishment
Site Type: Specific
Public House
General Period
20TH CENTURY
Specific Period
Early 20th Century 1901 to 1932
Form of Evidence
Extant Building
Description
A property known as the "Crane House" is listed in records from 1833 onwards at 44 Duke Street, 2 New Quay, 2 Duke Street and 50 Duke Street. It was owned by Mrs Ann Kirby until she died in 1837 or 1838. The house at thr rear was called Kirby's House built onto Kirby's Bank. The properties were listed as houses, shops and pubs. They passed into the hands of W.H. Allison and Co., who operated a brewery in one of the buildings, and went on in 1890 to form the Newcastle Breweries with four other brewery companies. By 1880 the collection of buildings on Duke Street consisted of The Crane House, with a small maltings to the rear, and the adjoining Crown and Thistle pub with stables to the rear. Next to this were warehouses and cottages. In 1905 the Crane House and malting was demolished and rebuilt set back from the road by Joseph Oswald and Son. The surviving building is of two storeys with an oriel window on the first floor. The ground floor is faced in glazed faience. LOCAL LIST
Easting
435570
Northing
567830
Grid Reference
NZ435570567830
Sources
Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2005, The Chain Locker, Duke Street, North Shields - Desktop assessment and recording work; FISHcast, sub-group of FISH (Folk Interested in Shields Harbour), 2007, North Shields - The New Quay and The Fish Quay Conservation Areas - FISHcast Community Character Statement; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9); Lynn F Pearson, 1989, The Northumbrian Pub - an architectural history, 47-50